Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barlews

Obtaining plants in Greece

barlews
16 years ago

Hi there

At last the end is in sight and we hope to move to Rhodes in the next three months.

We have asked around and there are very few nurseries on Rhodes and they are very small with not much selection, unless anyone can tell me of anywhere.

I have been looking at all the posts and bought several books but where do I get all these wonderful plants.

Is there anywhere in Greece that would do mail order - I understand Crete has two good nurseries?

I understand that only plants with a health certificate can be taken into Greece and in Britain these are only issued to traders. Is there any way I can get round this? I have lots of Hemerocallis, iris etc that I would like to take.

Any advice?

Thank you

Barlews

Comments (8)

• amato
    16 years ago

Hi,
    There are two big nurseries in Thessaloniki, Vasiliadis and Lemonidis.They are near the airport.They have a huge variety of plants/trees to choose from.

As far as the plants you want to take with you, there is no problem importing them in Greece since UK is a EU member.Only plants/seeds imported from third countries should be accompanied by a sanitary certification.I have personally asked myself at the Ministry of Agriculture about that last year. They told me there is no need for such certification for plants imported only from countries who belong in the EU.So, don't worry about that.

I wish you a nice arrival and stay in Greece.You're gonna savour on the climate on Rhodes.It's a wonderful island.

• dezmo
    16 years ago

I used to live on crete and there are 2 nurseries in just herssonisos there is a lot more you can see in the wild prickley pear cactus alocosia bannanas ihave grown them pomegranets olive trees bouganvileas alocosia hibiscus agave also hanging coastal plant pink flower forgot name i have some plants from crete in my uk garden you can get a lot but not everything palms cactus hydrangeas a lot of flowers

• tracyml
    16 years ago

Hi Im sure you have found the plant nurseries by nw, but just in case you havent and you happen to pick this up, we are building in Gennadi in the South of the Island abot 15 mins from Lindos and we have a very good Plant nursery with English owners they are very very helpful and what they dont have they will either get for you or tell you where and how to get it. The palnt nursery is just off the main Highway on the approach towards Gennadi after Kiotari, look for the signs on the left hand side of the road after the petrol station but before the bridge

• barlews
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Tracyml.
    We are completing on our house on the 17th October, 18 months overdue, and as we understand November is a good time to plant will go in and have a chat then.
    To see if plants will survive the 2-3 weeks in a container, I am experimenting at the moment here in Scotland. I have cut must of the foliage down, washed off the soil, wrapped roots in damp newspaper then poly bag. I then put them in a cardboard box loosely covered in scrunched newspaper and placed it in the garage. I am waiting to see if they will survive.Looked Ok after 10 days but will let you know.

Barlews

• russellsnr
    16 years ago

Hi, Bit late but if you already here and still looking for nurseries I no of a couple that I can show you, if interested contact me via this site.
    Enjoy Rhodes.

Russell.

• barlews
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Russell

Thanks for your offer.
    Believe it or not we went out to Rhodes to complete last October to find it was still not finished. It is supposed to be ready now and we should be moving in the next six to eight weeks.
    The builders took us to a nursery in Fanes which was quite good. However we are going to have a problem with wild goats so we are toying with the idea of an electric fence. We have seen a couple advertised in the UK especially for keeping goats in but they are bright yellow.
    We were assured that Goats hate oleander so we ordered 150 and they were supposed to have been planted 75cm apart last October, whether they were is another matter. They were so cheap that we thought they would give a quick colourful fence and we wont mind scrapping some of them as time goes by.
    Once we have made the garden secure, I'll be in touch.

Thanks once again.
    Barlews

• flickdirect
    13 years ago

Hi Barlews, Did you ever get your nursery established in Rhodes? If so I wondered if you could help? We have a summer house in Symi near Rhodes and we urgently need to find an established rosemary bush to replace our huge old one which has suffered this summer and now looks very dead.Ideally we were hoping that we could order and pay for one on line so that we could have it delivered on the Symi ferry and plant it before we leave in early November. Can you help?

• newkos
    12 years ago

I know that this is very late but there is a Garden Centre in Zipari on Kos. it's on the main road between Kos town and Zipari on the south side as you drive towards Kefalos

regards

Sally

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm