Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherill_gw

growing mangos

Sherill
18 years ago

I bought 3 Mango kernals back to my garden in Alora, Andalucia which were given to me by my Mother from Mangos bought in a supermarket in the UK.

One of the three has about 6 inches of growth and a few small leaves now. My question is 'can anybody tell me whether this is likely to grow into a fruit producing tree eventually, and any tips on care etc.'

Here is a link that might be useful: my Mediterranean Garden

Comments (6)

• ionads
    18 years ago

In Asia, mangoes grow wild. I would suppose that the trees that grow out of seed are cross pollinated and so bear fruit. I know someone who grew a whole mango tree in her flat from one seed, but it never bore any fruit - of course a normal mango tree would grow to 30ft! So if you have three of them, there's every likelihood that you may get fruit. Try them out anyway, if anything the foliage makes a nice canopy for shade.

Another use for the tree is that small branches can be broken off and bitten to clean your teeth - the poor man's toothbrush. It really seems to work...

• Footfullofbindis
    18 years ago

Sherril
    I have seen mangoes trees growing and fruiting in Melbourne in southern Australia, which I think would be cooler than your climate. Mangoes generally come true to type from seed, so if it was an eating mango that you have germinated, then you will most likely have an eating mango. The non edible mangoe are called 'turpentine mangoes' here in Australia, because that is what thye taste like, but can be ok for cooking and chutneys. Mango seeds are also poly-embryonic, so one seed generally produces a number of differnt shoots - try them out.

• veedear
    18 years ago

I came to live in the costa blanca six years ago from uk and brought with me two dwarf grafted mango plants which came from sri lanka. they grew fairly well and even produced fruit. as they are the dwarf type they only grow to less than a meter. the sad tale is last severe winter killed them so if we have a bad winter fleece your tree for protection. if you grew from seed it will take many years to see fruit( your next generation) sorry to disappoint but it is still a nice tree for foiliage. by the way a garden centre here sells mango plants meter high though not the dwarf type. water and feed them normally. good luck!

• wendymick
    17 years ago

hi, i have two meter-high mango trees and all the leaves are going brown (starting at the tips) and then falling off. Even some of the new shoots are dieing and a brown sap appears where they have fallen off. Do they have a disease or am i doing something wrong?
    I water deeply about once a week and fertilise regularly.
    They looked nice and healthy when I bought them in summer, but now its winter. Do young mango trees do this in winter? or is there something else i should be doing?
    please help, as i dont want them to die.

thanks.
    wendy

• veedear
    16 years ago

i just bought a three foot mango and planted in secluded spot. it seem to be doing ok. but wil have to watch it over the winter. the frost killed two a year ago. i have planted it behind a wall so lets hope it lives.

• Laraine Wiles
    12 years ago

I have a 12 year old mango tree. For the first few years it produced beautiful fruit. Since then it produces lots of flowers and small fruit but when the fruit reach golf ball size they turn black and fall off. I havent got one decent mango since. I live in Sydney and there are lots of successful mango trees. I fertilise it twice a year.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus