Return to the Mediterranean Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can ivy give an alergic skin reaction?

Posted by marianne_in_asturias 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 07 at 15:11

My husband was in the hedgerow by our house cutting out a very overgrown ivy that was growing throughout a hazel tree and a laurel bush/tree. He must have come in contact with something which has given him a very severe dermatological reaction of redness, swelling and white welts which over 72 hours became scabby and then turned into wet boils. We are trying to identify what has caused the reaction so that we can remove it from our garden. Can anyone offer any advice please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can ivy give an alergic skin reaction?

Hi
of course ivy is a poisonous plant
just have a look on this site

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poison_ivy

there are numerous information about it if you google poisonous ivy

If I was affected by that I would personally apply on the area Colloidal silver.It makes miracles on such occasions.

o
RE: Can ivy give an alergic skin reaction?

Whoa Nellie! :) Poison ivy (Rhus radicans, Rhus toxicodendron) is a very different plant than the plants normally referred to as "ivy" in gardens - English ivy and its kind (Hedera spp.) and Boston ivy (Parthenocissus). Hedera does cause skin reactions in some people, though not as readily as poison ivy; usually it happens when people go ripping it out and get the sap on their skin. Though it's not all that common a reaction, it pays to wear gloves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mediterranean Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here