Return to the Mediterranean Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
oleander/toxic plants

Posted by FionaLasMolinas UK-Malaga! (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 5, 05 at 10:56

Does anyone have any accurate idea of just how toxic oleanders are? I love them & wanted to plant the whole length of our track, but just this weekend discovered they're poisonous & maybe it's not such a good idea for the sake of my 3 year old son! However that might just depend on WHICH bits of the plant are poisonous & HOW they do their evil. Can anyone help me out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: oleander/toxic plants

Hi-

Oleanders are an extremely common non-native plant here in Southern California in the US. They are mostly used in areas with few humans - on highway shoulders or as borders in industrial areas. They have been used here for 40 years as I can remember. I am not a medical professional, but I understand that the sap, leaves and even smoke are all poisonous if consumed in significant amounts. This said, there are very, very few cases of poisoning, probably due to the local knowledge that this plant is dangerous.

About 8 years ago, I recall two small children dying in Los Angeles from ingesting oleander leaves. Their mother had left then alone to play in a backyard and did not know that the oleanders were poisonous. Apparently the emergency staff also made a delayed diagnosis, which gives you an idea of how rare this is. I am not sure what the antidote is for oleander poisoning, but I am sure that it would involve an urgent trip to the hospital.

I would not plant oleanders if I had small kids or pets and I would not leave kids or pets unattended in an area with oleanders.

Best regards, Shadows Mom

o

• Posted by Possie Algarve Portuga (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 18, 05 at 9:33

Oleanders contain a very potent alcaloid. They are extremely poisonous. Four or five leaves would be enough to kill horse. It is said that Napoleon lost a few hundred soldiers in Spain because they had roasted meat on oleander sticks.
I would keep very far from them

o

yes, surely, don't plant oleander please - it is too much dangerous - truly ok for Napoleon'story

o

I Have children and grandchildren that i believe will not suffer for my joy in Oleander flowers...that may sound ridiculous but having said that ,the Spanish authorities in my area (Malaga) use them as flora ,hedging ,and bushes in ALL the local parks and gardens ,even as perimeters of playgrounds .........please world .....don't protect ...TEACH

o

Afriend, while in Stockholm, saw a sign to a garden she so wanted to visit. The name of the garden was,Millisgarten. Ihope I'm not posting wrong this is my first post so please excuse me if I am.My friend is going back to Stockholm and would still like to visit the gardn but we can't find it on the web.

o

Hi Junebug,
Click on the link below for some information on the garden.
Cheers,
Dee.

Here is a link that might be useful: Millesgarten, Stockholm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mediterranean Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here