SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swiss_gardener

new rose garden, beginning gardener

swiss_gardener
14 years ago

I live in Switzerland and am planning a new raised bed rose garden. I have never planted roses before and am feeling a bit overwhelmed by the advice available on the internet. I'm hoping someone in this forum can answer some questions.

I have marked out a 2 meter x 1 meter rectangular bed. The back wall will be our garden fence. I have planned and ordered three different roses, but chose them because they were beautiful and hearty. I'm not even sure if they are they right kind of rose for me. The 3 are:

Peace

Nostalgie

Nina Weibull

The biggest worry that I have is the amount of sun. We live next to a mature forest and, because of the position of the house and the often grey weather, there really isn't any place where we get 6 hours of pure sunlight per day. However, the spot I have chosen gets sun the whole day. The fence is quite tall and therefore shades the back of the bed location. I'm hoping that as the sun moves this summer, this spot will get more and more morning sun and consistent afternoon sun.

Any advice to a beginner? Have I made reasonable choices of bed location and rose varieties?

Comment

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?