Return to the Gardening in the UK Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using 'Roundup' close to other plants

Posted by ymv13 Essex. UK (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 07 at 4:43

Good morning

I have some stubborn weeds growing close to my laurel bush and privit hedge.

I'd like to kill them with RoundUp, but am concerned that, althouhg I would only apply the chemical to the weeds, would this effect the nearby plants as well, because it is in the soil?

Any advice gratefully received.

Yvonne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using 'Roundup' close to other plants

I think that glysophate-based herbicides like Roundup aren't supposed to survive in contact with the soil. They work by being absorbed into the plant via the leaves, then the poison is transported around the plant to kill the whole thing off. I suppose that if you're using a spray there might be a very slight risk of spraying leaves on the wrong plant by accident. You can also buy glysophate in paint-on form - the type I have used is called Tumbleweed.

o

Once, after an argument ith my husband, I went out into my garden in the dark with what I thought was a bugkilling spray, which was in fact Roundup. As I put it back in the shed, I realised my mistake. So I hosed the garden down for several hours and just lost some seedlings.

I would therefore advise hosing down any nearby plants straight after spraying.

o

The way i did it was to either paint it on the offending weeds or to put a protective barrier ie cardboard whilst spraying to ensure that i didn't inadvertently hit my precious plants. If the plants are small such as strawberries i cover these with plant pots to protect them whilst i spray...works a treat.

o

Another suggestion : to spray a particular weed, you can cut down a plastic bottle (of mineral water for instance), so as to obtain a cylinder. Place this cylinder over the weed, down to the soil, and spray inside the cylinder : this way, the neighbouring plants won't be sprayed.
Zephirine

o

It should not harm otherwise than on direct contact with a plant, but I have had surrounding plants die off, and that happened after painting it in the weed.
Painting on is definitely safer than spraying unless you want to clear an area altogether of all growth. The higher concentration - with stubborn weeds you may need to go up from the standard solution - the more so.
Useful trick is to have old cotton gloves on, with latex ones under, and finger-paint the weeds.

o

be very careful thats all I can say. I sprayed a few nettles in my greenhouse. I made sure mothing else got toched but somehow I lost 1/2 dozen show fuchsias

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in the UK Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here