Return to the Gardening in the UK Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When should I prune my Laurel hedge?

Posted by benjilloyd Cheshire, UK (My Page) on
Tue, May 17, 05 at 13:07

We have a Laurel hedge that is growing like mad (this is its second season in the ground, bought in 2-3 ft in pots).

So far I simply cut off the tiny green branches when they go beyond where I want them to.

I don't do it to a particular schedule, just when I notice.

Is this wrong? Am I creating a rod for my back? Could I be doing any harm not pruning at the 'right time'?

Any help appreciated as always

cheers
ben

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When should I prune my Laurel hedge?

You can prune whenever you want, with one proviso. Cherry Laurel (Prunus laurecerasus) is prone to cankers and the main way they catch them is through wounds that get infected mainly during late winter and early spring, but potentially during any wet weather. The RHS recommend pruning during the summer in dry weather.

o

Cheers! You just told me what I wanted to hear :-)

It seems like the Laurel (and it is the Cherry that we have, although I'm sure that's obviously somehow) was the right choice. Fast growing, shad, sun, any soil. All true. Except for some exceptions.

But brilliant, I am really pleased. I must admit I am getting quite obsessed cutting it, turn your back and it's grown!

So, what on earth are cankers?

o

Exactly what I was wondering. My unstoppable laurel went a bit funny last year - manky leaf problem. Would that be a result of canker?

o

Manky leaf problems are probably just powdery mildew. That causes distorted leaves but is not usually serious. The presence of white fuzz under the leaves indicates mildew. Bacterial cankers can also distort the leaves but will not have white fuzz because they aren't fungal. The leaves will develop lesions that eventually drop out to leave holes. If it infects the branches it can cause dieback. Infected branches should be removed.

o
Laural hedge?

I have a laural hedge approaching 18-20ft high. Can i reduce the height to about 10ft without damaging the hedge.i know it will look unsightly for a while but will it thicken up again

o

If it is the common English or Cherry Laurel, which it sounds like at that size, then you could cut it to ground level and not slow it down much ;)

o
re laural hedge gone brown

I HAVE A 6FT LAURAL HEDGE AROUND THE SIDE GARDEN BUT SINCE THE LAST COLC SPELL AT CHRISTMAS ALL HAS GONE BROWN NO LEAVES...NO NEW GROTH AS YET CAN YO ADVISE ME. THANKS.

o
RE: Deer devoured my Laurel hedge? Help!!!

We had a hard winter and the deer attacked my Laurel hedge. They devoured all the leaves off the lower branches and there are only leaves on the top where they were unable to reach. I don't know what to do to help leaves grow again on the lower branches. I was told by someone to cut them all the way down to the base and start over. Spring has just sprung in my area and they look awful. I planted them to screen from our neighbors but they are just plain ugly and I feel horrible because it took 6 years and they looked so good last summer. Help

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in the UK Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here