SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crazylady_gw

Ants are killing my plants!

crazylady
17 years ago

Everywhere I've looked, experts say ants don't damage plants. The red ants in my garden are killing my plants, but I don't know how. First the plants wilt, and the soil is always dry no matter how much I water or mist them. Then I see soft earth on top of the pots (or in the border in the conservatory) that tells me there are ants' nests there. When I tip the plants out of the pot, I find it completely full of red ants' nest, complete with eggs of all sizes. We have soft, fairly sandy soil, which is probably easy for the ants to excavate.

Last year, I noticed a Penstemon in a pot outside was limp every day, and when I found the ants' nest, I repotted it (the Penstemon, not the nest). This year, I was too late to save a Magnolia stellata outside, and in the conservatory, I've had to repot a palm, some Meconopsis horridula seedlings, I've lost a Passion Flower, and I'm currently trying to rescue a Pomegranate but the leaves keep falling off.

When I tip the plants out of the pots, they have good root systems. They don't seem able to absorb the water. Do ants produce some sort of chemical which can do this?

I have a sacrificial pot of earth in the conservatory now, ready to empty every so often to try and keep the ants away from my precious plants.

Can anyone tell me what's happening - and how to stop it?

Comments (18)