Return to the Gardening in the UK Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Gardener please help! - Caring for Foxgloves

Posted by sallie_gardener (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 11, 06 at 6:16

I have just recently moved to a house with rather over grown front and back gardens which I am trying to tidy up and care for. I have never had a garden to care for before so I'm not sure how to care for a lot of the plants. I'd like to know please how I cut back Foxgloves. I have been told that once they have flowered the stalks need cutting to encourage more flowers. Where do I cut them? Can someone offer me some advice? It would be much appreciated, thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Gardener please help! - Caring for Foxgloves

• Posted by pond Portsmouth, UK (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 11, 06 at 11:12

Cut them at the bottom of the stem, where they meet the rosette of leaves. If you can see new flower buds forming lower down the stem, cut just above these.

o

Regular biennial foxgloves? I yank them after they flower. The foliage is big and ugly and the secondary flower stems, if they come at all, are nowhere near as impressive. Leave some until the lowest seedpods release their seed, then you'll have more next year.

o

I would choose one or two that I like the colour of, especially if its an unusual shade, and leave them to cast their seed for next year. The rest I either cut right down or yank out and throw away. Best of luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in the UK Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here