SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lori_londonuk

Salvia leucantha -- how hardy?

lori_londonuk
17 years ago

I bought a Salvia leucantha fairly recently on a visit to Great Dixter. I planted it out and am pleased to find that it's starting to come into flower. I didn't realise it was a late-flowering plant.

However, another thing I didn't realise is that it may not be hardy. Recently I've seen a couple of articles suggesting it as a conservatory plant, so I'm a bit concerned I'm just going to kill it off if I leave it in the garden. I'm in suburban London and I'm uphill, so I'm not in a frost pocket. In terms of the normal frost conditions here, I find that it kills off my nasturtiums but the flowers on my fatsia japonica never drop off (I remember someone else on here saying that the latter was a frost indicator for them). So the frosts here aren't that bad, but it's not as mild as a south coast location.

Does anyone else grow this plant? If so, you find the need to protect it in winter? I've got an unheated greenhouse and I suppose I could pot it up and put it in there, or else I could cover with fleece.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz