Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pauldavies_gw

frogs in my garden

pauldavies
16 years ago

I have recently noticed there are a number of adult frogs (also a baby frog), appearing in my back garden and two of them appear to be full of eggs. There was a pond full of plants and water when we moved in last may but it had to emptied due to stail water and dead goldfish in it, but didn't see any frogs around there, only one at the top of the garden. Is there any thing i can do for the frogs or is it to late this year.

Any information/help will be much appreciated.

Comments (10)

• dampflippers
    16 years ago

Is the empty pond still there? If so, fill it asap.
    Otherwise the frogs will probably find another pond nearby.
    But everyone on this forum will recommend that you build a pond if you haven't got one!

• chippewacat
    16 years ago

Yep, I'd go for the pond option anytime!! Frogs need all the help they can get!!

• frajki70
    16 years ago

Two days ago my frogs came out first time this year for a little sunbathing.
    For some reason they looked very dark, instead of green
    which they were last sommer.

• dampflippers
    16 years ago

I think they will look a bit darker hen they are dry. What sort of frogs do you get in Hungary?
    We get common frogs - Ranus temporaria - in Britain.

• donusa
    15 years ago

This spring we had some BIG frogs in the pond, then they dissapeared and now we have fewer and much smaller frogs. What happened to the big ones, and whee did the smaller frogs come from. With koi in the pond we never see frog eggs of pollywags. these smaller frogs are not new babies. Thanks for your input

• big_kid
    15 years ago

Get it filled. Think of all the slugs the frogs will devour if you give them reason to stay around your garden!
    Big Kid

• chippewacat
    15 years ago

In the spring the adult frogs come to spawn. Many of the male ones would have hibernated in the pond so they are 'first in the queue'. Females and young frogs hibernate under rocks etc. Many though will also come from a fair distance (males and females) to spawn, and then afterwards go back to their gardens. Most of their lives are spent outside of ponds. The young ones are probably 2-3 years old, and have come to the pond as it is now a bit less crowded!

Tadpoles and froglets are very very good at hiding (as well as good as getting eaten). So the fact that you do have young frogs returning to the pond suggests that some are managing to get to older stages! Perhaps there is a pond nearby where they eggs are surviving.

only 4 in a 1000 eggs will make it to adult frogs!

a good time to watch frogs is at night with a good torch, but watch where you step!

Chip

• Mandie Essex
    12 years ago

I need to stop frogs and toads getting in my garden. We have a lake nearby. One of my miniature jack russells picked up a toad and poisoned himself. Luckily he is fine but need to stop them getting in the garden, for their safety as well as my dogs. Any ideas??

Mandie

• chippewacat
    12 years ago

Hi,

Very sorry to hear about your dog, and yes you do need to find a solution. But getting rid of the frogs and toads will not be possible---and also too these creatures need all the help to survive too!

However, how to keep them safe and your dogs safe, is to train your dogs to avoid toads. You can probably find advice on this from a good pet shop, as well as something to make a sound which the dogs won't like. What you do is expose the dog to a toad (at a distance where the toad will not be hurt) and at the same time use the whistle (or whatever it is that the pet shop has) as soon as the dog pays attention to the toad. The dog will associate the unpleasant sound with the toad, and so will avoid toads as a means of avoiding the unpleasant sound. This will make your dogs much safer.

When you do it though, you do need to make sure there is nothing else distracting the dog, and blow the whistle as soon as the dog pays attention to the toad. Then make a fuss of the dog when it is not paying attention to the toad.
    As I said, the pet shop will know of information by good dog trainers of the best way of doing this.

And then your dogs and toads can both thrive!

Chip

• dampflippers
    12 years ago

Mandie, hopefully your dog will now have learnt that toads don't taste nice.
    As Chip says, train it to ingnore them and "leave".
    It would be impossible to keep them out unless you erect newt fencing all round and have no gaps at all under gates.

If you want to move any toads you see, carefully pick up with gloves on (if you don't want to touch them) and place them outside the garden in long grass or under bushes. Toads only need to be in the lake at breeding time, the rest of the time they live on land up to a couple of kilometres away from it.
    ps They are good for eating bugs and slugs in your garden.