16 years ago

Hi I live in West London and I would dearly love some frogspawn

can anyone help?

Thanks

Comments (7)

• johntw16
    16 years ago

I might be able to help
    I reside in SW London. We get inundated with unwanted frogspawn so would be happy to let you have some when it arrives.
    Not sure of the leagalities though. I know there are laws about the transporation of such material. If someone can assure me that this would be above board, we can arrange for you to collect when available
    regards
    John TW16

• dampflippers
    16 years ago

It isn't against the law from your own pond.
    They do however suggest that you only transfer frogspawn to the same postcode. This is to try to reduce the spread of diseases like red leg and the new fungus that is killing frogs.
    You need to ask the donor if they ahave ever had dead or diseased frogs in their garden, and if the answer is yes, don't take it.
    Another thing you have to think about is that you may also transfer invasive plants like Azolla (fairy moss), Swamp stonecrop (Tilia recurva) etc which are very difficult to get rid of.

I forgot to ask- do you have a pond, and how old is it? If it is quite new frogs might find it by themselves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Froglife website

• johntw16
    16 years ago

I can confirm that to my knowledge, I have not had dead or diseased frogs in the garden. The frogs usually live in a koi pond. The pond does not contain any invasive plants. I try to keep the pond completely clear of such plants.
    regards
    John
    TW16

• chippewacat
    16 years ago

Good luck with the frogspawn transfer. I just went out this morning and was surprised to find another 5 lots of frogspawn. I had thought they finished having had a fair amount in mid January and then some more in early February, after which it had started to go quiet in the evenings again.

But last night it must have been party time again!

As they say, you can never have too much frogspawn.

Now if I could only spot the toad and newtspawn so easily....

Chip

• rochester_ron
    15 years ago

The upshot of this is that, the little mites will & do come back to mate in your pond. This is fine but there is a stage where another persons pond would come in handy. You may just about have as much as you like as our pond is making our Goldfish homeless.

• wildlife146
    11 years ago

Hi. I live in central London. I have recently constructed a wildlife pond, but due to the garden being walled, will never receive frogs from nearby gardens. I would love to get some frog spawn in early 2013, if anyone has any spare. I am aware it is not common practice to transport frogs, even frogspawn long distances, but this is a isolated garden, in practice teeming with insects, slugs and snails, in which I feel frogs should do well. Mark

• Lindsey1980
    10 years ago

Hi where can u get it from as I need some for the children at nursery to watch them grow

Sponsored
Steadfast Construction
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Arlington County's Experienced Custom Deck Builder I Best of Houzz