Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susiesue_gw

Green globular jelly algae.

susiesue
15 years ago

I posted a picture in the gallery and got no response so I guess that I should have posted on the discussion forum as well

We are new to the forum and live in the NW UK.

We have a natural pond approx 10m x 2m that is 2 years old. It has reasonable plant coverage now and plenty of newts but little frogspawn this year. However, this year the pond has been taken over by green globular jelly algae. The globules are around 1-2cm across and appear to have air bubbles in them and range from a bright green to brownish green colour. They maintain their shape when taken out of the water. I have search the web for info but found nothing at all. I notice that there was string on the subject in 2005 with no real resolution.

I have uploaded a picture (in the gallery). Can anyone tell us what these green invaders are and how to get rid of them, if indeed if need to get rid of them.

Thanks alot

Comments (2)

• chippewacat
    15 years ago

Hi,
    It sounds like you have the same stuff I've had (or possibly still do). They hold quite a lot of air, so when it dries out in the sun they disintegrate into almost nothing. Tend to gather around oxygenators. Could not find anything on the internet about it, but did find an algae expert in Edinburgh who invited me to send some up. He identified it as a blue-green algae (not the poisonous kind), and has something to do with the oxygenators. He did give a rather complicated way of eradicating it which involves changing the sediment in the pond (as that is where it all stored waiting for the next blooming opportunity). And then you can't guarantee it won't find its way back the same way it got there in the first place (probably on birds feet). It seemed like a lot to do for so little return, and I do like the fact our pond has quite an array of bugs and things thanks to sediment.

So I have spent the last three summers pulling up the oxygenators in the pond that have got the algae on it and sticking it in the compost heap--quite a lot of it. I have been brutal. Have to wait though to make sure the newts have hatched. Also catching globules in nets and getting rid of it. It does disappear when it turns cold again. In the early winter I have also thinned out the oxygenators in the pond (this was advised by the expert, and I have also heard that when there isn't sun, oxygenators don't do their job). This thinning out does seem to involve wetsuit and spanning a ladder across the pond, and giggles from husband and daughter.

This year no sign of the globby things, but have blanket weed again (which was virtually absent over the last three years when I have had the globby ones). Very pleased to see the blanket weed, and much more satisfying to clear out! Noticed too, that blanket weed always seem to have living things in it, but this globby stuff doesn't.

Lucky you with newts by the way--what kind are they? In Devon it seems we get palmate newts, but down the road there are some great crested who I hope will get adventurous....

But as you have noticed, with wildlife ponds, one is never in control!!

have fun ponding, and welcome to the site!

chip

• big_kid
    15 years ago

Do you think barley straw would help against this kind of algae because it helps with blanket weed/discoloured water?

See my barley straw reply in 'New pond turned bad.'
    Big Kid