SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kelly2910_gw

Fish been eaten.

kelly2910
16 years ago

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any advice. My dad has a pond in his garden, and a few years ago lost all his fish to a heron (knew it was a heron as we saw it, leaving after it had removed every fish, bitten their heads off and left them on the lawn).

He restocked the pond, putting a plastic heron to deter it coming again, then he lost his fish again. This time we believe it was a minx. His garden in right next to a river and minx, otters and the like have all been spotted on a regular basis.

He's just recently restocked the pond, and has strung strong fishing line in a criss-cross fashion over the pond, threading it through copper pipe which he has screwed to the inside of the pond. We were sure this would be enough to keep the fish safe.

Last night, something has entered the pond through a gap about an inch sqaure, dragged two fish out, eaten one, leaving only it's tail and a few scraps and leaving another gasping for air on the lawn. (My dad put this fish back in the pond and it's still alive although we're not expecting much, would have thought the shock would kill it, poor thing.)

We've set a humane trap for tonight with the scraps of the eaten fish to see if we can catch anything that returns. Obviously if we catch it, we'll know what it was for definite but don't know what we're going to do in the future.

If any one has had any experiences with minx, etc and/or found ways to prevent this, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to go on so long, but it really is upsetting to think what the poor things have gone through.

Thanks in advance,

Kelly

Comments (4)

Sponsored